Website Norfolk County Agricultural High School Norfolk County Agricultural High School
Norfolk County Agricultural High School
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Plans, manages and coordinates field crop, all day-to-day farm operations and care of animals on campus to include both small and large animals. Assists in the physical labor of farm operations. Addresses campus security issues as they arise. Coordinates farm snow removal activities with the Director of Facilities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Develop, coordinate and implement an annual Farm Management Plan each spring.
2. Coordinate day to day farm operations.
3. Develop positive communication and working relationships between Forepersons and teaching staff which may include:
· Weekly meetings with the Vocational Assistant Principal and Animal Science staff.
· Soliciting teacher schedules to coordinate daily work.
· Arranging of additional coverage of class labs.
4. Enhance the Foreperson’s role in the educational program.
· Support Forepersons assisting with instructional labs.
· Research and seek out appropriate seminars, workshops and conferences to attend.
· Confer with Superintendent-Director as to appropriateness of proposed professional development activity.
· Determine who should attend.
5. Centralize and computerize the overall Animal Science record keeping system for use as a management tool and for student use and teaching.
6. Act as an administrative liaison between farm operation and the Superintendent-Director with respect to purchasing, purchase orders, breeding program management, and animal disposition/acquisition.
· Purchasing (including soliciting bids, researching products, conducting inventories, setting up deliveries, coordinating deliveries with suppliers, payments and writing specs.)
· All aspects of budgeting.
· Other paperwork – business correspondence, letter of acknowledgement for donations, securing animal evaluations for tax purposes for donations.
· Breeding Program Management including:
· Researching sires, conferring with breed services and securing semen.
· Borrowing or leasing the use of quality herd bull and ram.
· Obtaining animals through donations.
7. Develop work schedules for Forepersons, and student workers.
8. Provide security and emergency services campus wide as needed for buildings, facilities and grounds.
· Contact appropriate staff or repair service personnel as needed.
9. Develop marketing strategies for school farm products.
· Develop advertisements for publication for sale of animals.
· Secure animal permits for transport.
· Secure Interstate Health Transport papers with Massachusetts Department of Food and Agriculture.
· Coordinate these activities with classroom events and competencies.
10. Work with veterinarian to coordinate animal health care.
· Monitor sick animals.
· Administer medication under direction of the veterinarian.
· Assist with lambing, farrowing, calving.
· Conduct evening rounds to check on animals as necessary and appropriate.
11. Perform other tasks as assigned.
12. Administer and coordinate responsibilities as outlined in our Vet Tech agreement with Massasoit Community College.
** On campus housing may be included in the benefit package.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org