Website Duxbury Public Schools
Duxbury Public Schools
Announcement of Vacancy – Superintendent of Schools – 2022/2023 School Year
The Duxbury Public Schools is actively seeking experienced, qualified candidates for the position of Superintendent of Schools, effective July 1, 2022. The Duxbury School Committee has engaged the Collins Center for Public Management at the University of Massachusetts Boston to assist the district with this search process.
THE SCHOOL DISTRICT
Duxbury, Massachusetts is a historic, seaside town located in Plymouth County. The population of Duxbury is approximately 16,090 according to 2020 census data. Duxbury Public Schools is a PK-12 school district with 2,790 students and four schools: Chandler School (PreK-grade 2), Alden School (grades 3-5), Duxbury Middle School (grades 6-8,) and Duxbury High School (grades 9-12).
The district has 355.7 FTE staff, including 220.3 FTE teachers. The Duxbury student population is 6.7% economically disadvantaged, 20.2% high needs, 14.7% students with disabilities, 2.2% first language not English, and .3% English language learners (DESE 2020-21).
The mission of the Duxbury Public Schools is to provide each student with the opportunity to achieve personal and academic excellence. The district vision, as outlined, includes academic, social, and global components:
Academic: Every student in Duxbury Public Schools will be provided with a high-quality education aligned with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks that includes opportunities to cultivate their individual interests and passions.
Social: The Duxbury Public Schools will prioritize students’ social and emotional well-being in an environment that celebrates equity, tolerance, humanity and life balance.
Global: Students in Duxbury Public Schools will be empowered citizens who understand the interconnected social, political and cultural systems of the world.
The district’s current strategic plan identifies four core values and four pillars that support the mission and vision of the district. The four core values are: Students First, Integrity, Personal and Academic Excellence, and Equity and Inclusion. The four pillars are: Social and Emotional Well-Being, Advance Learning Opportunities for All Students, Program Expansion and Global Learning and Community Partnerships.
The Superintendent provides overall management and leadership to the Duxbury Public Schools, according to the district’s mission, vision, and strategic plan, and provides leadership in the improvement, development, and assessment of the instructional program of the school district to ensure the best possible educational programs and services. The key duties and responsibilities of this leadership position include educational leadership, communication, staffing, financial management, and operational and facilities management, among others.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE SHOULD BE:
· An educational leader with vision, who possesses a style that fosters a collaborative learning environment among the staff and major stakeholders of the district and community.
· A thoughtful curriculum and instructional leader who will continue the commitment to high standards and improving academic achievement and access for all students.
· An excellent communicator with proven skills in creating solid connections between the schools and the community through various platforms.
· A leader who integrates all types of learners including those with social, emotional, physical, intellectual and medical disabilities and demonstrates a solid understanding of the federal guidelines for disabilities.
· A leader who has experience with strategic planning that includes plan creation, implementation and maintaining focus on long-term goals in collaboration with stakeholders.
· A leader who has demonstrated a commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity.
· A leader who possesses knowledge and experience of school finance and budget development and securing financial resources to appropriately fund the educational needs of the school district.
· A leader who possesses knowledge and experience with curriculum, instruction, and assessment, collective bargaining and instructional technology.
The qualifications for this position include: a minimum of a Master’s degree (Doctorate preferred) in Administration, Education, or related field; successful administrative leadership experience and demonstrated leadership skills, preferably in an education setting; excellent communication skills; a proven ability to work collaboratively and build partnerships within the schools, the community, and town government; demonstrated understanding of Massachusetts General Law and Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) policies and procedures; and possession of a DESE license as Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent or eligibility for such license.
The Duxbury Public Schools is offering a regionally competitive compensation and benefits package for this leadership position, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The start date for the successful candidate will be July 1, 2022.
If you are interested in this leadership position, please email a letter of interest, resume, and three letters of reference to Dr. Ray Shurtleff, The Collins Center for Public Management, UMass Boston, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information about the superintendent search process is available at the DPS website: https://www.duxbury.k12.ma.us/.
For further inquiries, please feel free to contact the Collins Center search consultant, Dr. Ray Shurtleff at Ray.Shurtleff@umb.edu.
The application deadline for this position is December 3, 2021, at 4:00 pm.
Duxbury Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. Duxbury Public Schools do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, homelessness, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com