Website Watertown Public Schools
ADJUSTMENT COUNSELOR/SOCIAL WORKER
Watertown Middle School
Watertown Public Schools
Job ID: 3987567
Application Deadline: August 15, 2022
Posted: August 1, 2022
Starting Date: August 31, 2022
Position: Social Worker/ School Adjustment Counselor
Location: Watertown Middle School
Reports to: Principal and Director of Student Services
Affiliation: WEA Unit A
Salary: According to the WEA Unit Contract Salary Scale
Watertown Public Schools seeks an outstanding mental health professional who is passionate about education to serve as Social Worker/School Adjustment Counselor. The Social Worker will work with guidance counselors, teachers, and school administrators to identify and support students experiencing, or at risk of experiencing school adjustment challenges. This position requires excellent spoken and written communication skills, the ability to connect across diverse cultures, and a strong commitment to educational equity for all students.
- Assess how a student’s mental health needs may be impacting access to the curriculum
Support the development of students’ coping strategies to improve academic access and outcomes
- Maintain collaborative relationships with school-based staff, families, and outside therapists, physicians, and public agencies to support students’ growth
- In collaboration with the Community Outreach Social Worker, provide timely intervention for students at risk of or already experiencing chronic absenteeism
- Assist students and families by identifying resources, providing information, referral and support
- Consult and collaborate with other school personnel in gathering and giving information regarding students, and in establishing plans for interventions and supports, as needed
- Serve as a resource for other school personnel regarding adjustment situations
- Serve as a member of the School’s Critical Incident Team and Student Support Team
- Collaborate with teachers and other staff as needed to promote student success
- Provide individual student and school-wide crisis intervention, as needed
- In collaboration with the school psychologist, provide case management and support to students within the specialized Integrated Support Program, a substantially separate program for students with emotional and behavioral challenges
- In collaboration with the school psychologist, provide clinical consultation to the teachers for the Integrated Support Program
- Provide direct individual and group counseling to students who need counseling services in school in order to access the curriculum
- Conduct mental health screenings to determine safety and additional clinical needs
Perform other related duties as assigned by the Principal or Director of Student Services
- Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Certification as a School Social Worker/Adjustment Counselor
- Fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, Pushtu, Urdu, or other language, preferred
- Three years experience, preferred
- Master’s degree, preferred
- Valid driver’s license
Welcome to Watertown Middle School!
Mission The Watertown Middle School, in partnership with families and the community, provides a supportive and challenging learning environment where every student feels safe, respected, and valued. As a place for transition, the Middle School nurtures the development of self-esteem and the unique emotional, social, ethical and academic growth of each student.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Watertown Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience preferred
- Master degree preferred
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Jennifer Sarmiento, Assistant Principal
68 Waverley Ave.
Watertown, MA 02472
To apply for this job please visit www.schoolspring.com.