Website Watertown Public Schools
FAMILY ENGAGEMENT & COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGIST
Watertown Public Schools
Job ID: 3882597
Application Deadline: May 26, 2022
Posted: May 12, 2022
Starting Date: Immediately
Job Title: Watertown Public Schools Family Engagement and Communications Strategist
Reports to: Superintendent of Schools
Work Day/Year: Full year with paid vacation and flexible daily schedule
Salary Range: $65,000-$70,000, this position is Benefits Eligible
The Family Engagement and Communications Strategist (FECS) is responsible for developing and implementing internal and external communications for the Watertown Public Schools (WPS), to ensure that WPS families, students, staff, partners, and community members are informed about the district’s events, activities, construction projects, priorities, policies, and practices. In addition, the FECS will promote opportunities for two-way communication and engagement that is culturally responsive and encourages participation in the schools by all members of the community.
- Implement short and long-range communications plans and practices for improving the community’s understanding and appreciation of the Watertown Public Schools’ efforts to ensure success and raise academic achievement among all students.
- Support and build the capacity of the Watertown Public Schools to inform the community of activities, accomplishments, and challenges in the school community through various media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Direct public to WPS website via outreach on multiple social media outlets to ensure accuracy and consistency of information.
- Organize and/or promote community events that encourage broad participation by families/caregivers and community members using in culturally responsive strategies.
Review content of District’s website (pictures, prints, video, etc.) and work with website content curators to create and coordinate structure and web content in a mobile-friendly website environment
- Produce high-quality publications (online content, letters, columns, videos, fact sheets, fliers, etc.) communicating the system’s goals and priorities to various stakeholders including parents, staff, students, community, local businesses and Town leaders, including the Annual Report.
- Serve as a consultant for WPS partners in planning and organizing media events and strategies to promote positive image of the WPS.
- Attend, document and post a variety of school functions such as sports events, science fair, parent programs, etc. during and outside of the school day.
- Work with principals to publicize the great and regular accomplishments at their schools.
- Work with directors to publicize the great and regular accomplishments in their departments.
- Communicate with the larger Watertown Public Schools Community an all matters regarding the Building For The Future initiative (general updates, logistical communications, meeting highlights, etc.) via several media outlets
- Create and disseminate press releases.
- Focus on selling our school system to young families, or families new to Watertown.
- Help integrate the district and schools’ websites and social media design and content to create a unified “portal” for information access.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Superintendent and/or Assistant Superintendent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Media or other related fields
- 3-5 years experience in a public relations/communications field at varied levels and with increasing responsibility, or
- 3-5+ years experience in print and/or electronic journalism preferred
- Ability to prioritize competing demands and work under deadline pressure and in a professional environment
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills, especially in communicating policies and practices to varied audiences
- Advanced skills in communication using traditional print and social media
- Must be technically savvy, results oriented, highly organized, detail-oriented, with an eye for design, experience managing multiple projects and deadlines, the ability to learn quickly, work both independently and with others, and have a flexible schedule
- Familiarity with public school structures and audiences
- Understanding of community relations and the importance of timely communication through multiple applications and vehicles
- Experience producing publications, such as flyers, newsletters, reports, etc.
- Skills in graphic design and marketing
- Working knowledge of web communication including content management systems and all social media platforms
Welcome to Watertown Public Schools!
The Watertown Public Schools offers a unique learning environment that is intellectually rigorous and nurturing with small, responsive classrooms designed to ignite creativity, while empowering student resilience and confidence. Located in the greater Boston area, the Watertown Public Schools currently has 2608 students enrolled in its preK-12 program within the Early Steps Preschool, three elementary schools, Watertown Middle School and Watertown High School. Watertown students explore and shape the world around through a variety of innovative learning experiences and opportunities in a public school setting. Our student body is diverse, reflecting the ever-changing demographics of our community and our nation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Watertown Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience preferred
- Bachelor degree preferred
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Dede Galdston, Superintendent of Schools
30 Common Street
Watertown, MA 02472
To apply for this job please visit www.schoolspring.com.