Website Canton Public Schools
The Canton Public Schools is seeking an exceptional and dynamic candidate to serve as the Director of Student Services for the upcoming school year beginning July 1, 2024.
The Director of Student Services will join a vibrant and supportive team that places a high priority on collaboration, creativity, flexibility, and commitment to the goals of the District and to our students, families and staff.
The Canton Public Schools are an inclusive community for all students and staff and serve over 3,100 students in grades PreK-12 and our 18-22 programming. The Canton Public Schools are elevating the educational experience for our students by cultivating a school culture and climate that promotes academic growth and social emotional learning for every student, and ensures high quality teaching and learning through the purposeful design of rigorous and equitable student experiences.
We are eager to find the next member of our team who collaborates with other educators to create the conditions necessary so that every child experiences the true joy of learning, the excitement of achievement, areas of passion, and an authentic sense of belonging in their school.
To provide leadership in the development, implementation, and coordination of the district’s PreK-12 programs, including Special Education and Section 504, Psychological Services, Health Services, Home School Programs; Early Childhood Education and Pre-School. To implement, administer, coordinate, monitor and insure compliance with the Federal (P.L. 94-142) and State (Chapter 28) Special Education laws within the Canton Public Schools.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
- To ensure that all students have opportunities to learn, grow and meet their full potential.
- To monitor the implementation of programs to support “at risk” students and to identify students eligible for special education and/or related services.
- To have a thorough understanding of the Special Education laws and to keep current in regard to the same.
- Recruit, train and supervise highly effective Special Education District personnel and to assist Principals in regard to the same.
- To develop new programs to meet the ever-changing needs of the student population.
- To develop, propose and monitor the Special Education budget for the District.
- To ensure required service delivery in accordance with IEP specifications.
- Engage parents in the education of their children including attendance at monthly meetings of the Canton Parent Advisory Council for Student Services.
- Maintain and make recommendations in regard to District Special Education policies and procedures.
- Along with the Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning, propose and co-develop appropriate Professional Development activities for both professional and paraprofessional staff and parents.
- Develop, prepare and report required data in regard to Special Education for the Massachusetts Department of Education and the Superintendent.
- Develop and process appropriate grants to access federal and state funds and monitor compliance for the same, as well as seek other funding sources.
- Serve as District Liaison with regional organizations
- Along with the Assistant Superintendent of Finance and Operations, develop, process and monitor District responsibilities in regard to Special Education transportation.
- Refer Canton students to outside programs as required by IEPs and monitor placement and progress.
- Coordinate and chair District compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Performs such other tasks and assumes such other responsibilities as may from time to time be assigned by the Superintendent.
Master’s Degree in an appropriate field
Massachusetts Certification as an Administrator of Special Education
Experience supervising Special Education programs
Five (5) years administrative and supervisory experience (including budget preparation and fiscal management)
Ability to work as a member of a highly functioning team
A proven ability to relate to a variety of constituencies, including but not limited to, administrators, parents, teachers, school committee members, other school staff, human service and governmental agencies.
Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
Well-organized with excellent leadership abilities
Exceptional interpersonal and presentation skills
Working knowledge of relevant technologies: internet and email systems; word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software; and educational software
Employment-based on successful completion of CORI and fingerprinting background
Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the school department may find appropriate and acceptable
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools
SUPERVISES: Assistant Directors of Student Services/Student Services Staff
WORK YEAR: Full year
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary with comparable districts
If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please feel free to reach out to the below contact for this position to discuss your application.
To apply for this job please visit cantonma.tedk12.com.