Website City of Framingham
POSITION: Payroll Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: City Accountant
SALARY: M-6 $59,579.00 – $67,095.00
HOURS: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Tuesday 8:30am to 7:00pm
Friday 8:30am to 2:00pm
This role performs administrative and clerical duties related to the daily payroll operations of the Accounting/Finance Department. This role administers and coordinates payroll processing, the payroll database, and related reports as necessary for the city, school employees, and retirees. Performs all other related work as required.
(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Maintains accurate database for the processing of payroll. This includes entering new employee information, updating employee changes, maintaining voluntary deductions, billheads, additional wages, and general maintenance of the MUNIS database as requested.
- Receives, confirms and processes all reported hours for employees that are paid weekly.
- Maintains contact with School HR, MTRS, and City HR as well as employees to assist with report requests, questions and calculations.
- Assists employees with navigating current and new operational processes and general questions.
- Tracks and schedules special payouts for union collective bargaining agreements including special benefit time and retirement.
- Researches historical payroll information, and provides verification of employment.
- Drafts monthly reports for MTRS, LIUNA, UNUM as well as ad hoc reports as requested.
- Reviews and edits live payroll data and reviews for appropriate deductions.
- Coordinates with all departments via email and phone to handle issues and questions
- Assists walk-in employees with any payroll questions.
- Covers for Payroll Administrator when necessary to process City/School payrolls.
- Provides payroll information to the City Accountant for Annual Reports. Includes accruals, liabilities, and general accounting information.
- Maintains summer accruals on weekly basis.
- Prepares maternity leave reports, late hire reports, termination reports and others as required.
- Completes MTRS retirement applications in bulk. Due in February/March as needed during the balance of the year.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education, Training and Experience:
High School Diploma required. Associate’s Degree in a business or related field, 2 – 4 years Accounting or HR Administration experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Certified Payroll Professional preferred.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
Knowledge: Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets. Working knowledge of commonly used payroll, accounting, and general knowledge of human resources concepts, practices and procedures.
Ability: Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others. Must be accurate, thorough and well organized in working with detailed information; takes initiative to assure timely compliance with deadlines and the resolution of pending matters. Ability to maintain tact and discretion in challenging situations and interactions with employees and the public. Ability to maintain confidential information and to respond quickly to unexpected project with short deadlines or changes in important procedures.
Skill: Strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Strong communication skills; demonstrates a highly proficient use of computers, office automation, and other department specific computer applications, skill in all of the above listed technologies, tools and equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is works at a desk; moves around inside office to access file cabinets and office machinery; and traverse stairs, occasionally lifts objects weighing up to 10 pounds, such as supplies, folders, and books, operates a keyboard and calculator at efficient speed and views computer screen for extended periods of time. Requires the ability to recognize and identify differences between colors, shapes and sounds associated with job-related objects, materials and tasks.
Supervision Scope: Follows established guidelines and procedures in order to perform routine administrative functions.
Supervision Received: Works under the direct supervision of the Payroll Administrator.
Supervision Given: None.
- Majority of work is performed under typical office conditions; the noise level is moderate.
- Has frequent contact with city department heads, employees, retirees, elected officials, brokers, insurance representatives, vendors and other municipal Personnel/HR departments. Contacts are in person, by telephone and in writing by email, fax or correspondence.
- Has access to confidential employee records.
- Errors could result in delays or loss of service, monetary loss, and legal ramifications.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The City of Framingham is committed to the ongoing pursuit of strategic diversity initiatives that help to position diversity, equity, and inclusion as central to municipality and community-wide excellence in the City of Framingham. In doing so, Framingham strives for a city culture and environment that fosters a true sense of belonging for all, provides opportunity for everyone to participate equally and fully in the city, their communities and neighborhoods in ways that helps to develop each individual’s capacity to confidently and competently engage within and across difference. Given an evolving national context and the richness in the demographic and linguistic profile of our city, the City of Framingham has made a significant commitment to addressing and enhancing its community climate, culture and multiplicity of service capabilities as a city.
Please visit our website:
The City of Framingham is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.framinghamma.gov.